clickheat Extreme Programming Club: First meeting of the Extreme Programming Club

The Yorkshire Extreme Programming and Agile Methods Club

The Extreme Programming Club has changed it's name Please visit www.agileyorkshire.org for details. All postings for upcoming meetings will now be made there.

Where we meet:
Our meetings are held on every second Wednesday of each month at Victoria Hotel Pub in Leeds city centre at 7.00pm.
Place »
Directions »
Google Callendar »
Join our mailing list for updates and interesting discussion on technology, project management, programming and many more...

Email:

First meeting of the Extreme Programming Club

I have been interested in Extreme Programming for quite a while, and have been using various agile methods in my day-to-day job for the last two years. While I am not an expert, I consider myself to have some domain knowledge, and a desire to learn more.

My employers Erudine (www.erudine.com) are also fanatical about good software development methods and they have agreed to sponsor an Extreme Programming Club where it is hoped people can come together, network, and generally discuss IT issues related to Extreme Programming. (Although not necessarily exclusively XP - if someone wants to wax lyrical about the joys of Ruby then I for one will listen). Drinking real ale in one of my favourite pubs is something I am willing to endure for the greater good.

Initially, we are thinking of holding the meeting once a month in Leeds.
So the first meeting of the Extreme Programming Club will happen on:

Thursday 8 Feb at

Victoria Hotel
Great George St
Leeds,
LS1 3BB

The meeting starts at 7.00pm and finishes when we are all too tired to talk.
So I can get some ideas of the number of people that might turn up, can I ask anyone who is intending to come to email rosie.knighton@erudine.com

FEEDBACK ON THE IDEA
I would love some feedback. Do people think this is a good idea/a bad idea, would people like short talks (maybe 20 minutes) about aspects of Extreme Programming, or just an informal gathering? If you would like talks/presentations, what topics are of interest? Is anyone interested in doing a talk?

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I definitely think it's a good idea, I'd love to come along.

I'd be interested in short talks, as mentioned. Perhaps not too technical, more of an introduction to extreme programming from those of you who already know?

17 January 2007 at 12:28

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This seems to be a very good idea and ties in perfectly with my University degree. We're exploring agile modelling and UML. It'd be good to hear from professionals of their experiences in the workplace.

20 January 2007 at 14:12

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a distinct lack of developer community events in the area, something we have been trying to remerdy so I think this is a great idea.

Are you thinking the group should just be Extreme Programming or all Agile methods? I am a Certifdied There is a distinct lack of developer community events in the area, something we as a company have been trying to remedy by running free events, so I think another group is a great idea, community is important. Agile is the hot topic at least for developers if not the people funding the project. My only worry is how many people will turn out, I have found it hard to get people to evening events.

Are you thinking the group should just be Extreme Programming or all Agile methods? I am a Certified Scrum Master and would be happy to speak on that subject.

My email is richard@blackmarble.co.uk and you can find details of our free events at www.blackmarble.co.uk (I can rerun any of these you want). Also I write on our group blog http://blogs.blackmarble.co.uk/blogs/bm-bloggers/default.aspx (but have just started split my postings out to my own http://blogs.blackmarble.co.uk/blogs/rfennell/default.aspx) where one of the subjects covered is Agile.

Thursday is an awkward night as I have Triathlon club, but I aim to attend your first meeting.

Richard Fennell
MBCS CITP MCAD MCSD.NET BSc (Hons) CEng
Director - Black Marble

20 January 2007 at 14:20

 
Blogger Keith Sterling said...

You should think about posting a notice on the AgileYorkshire group http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/agileyorkshire/

A few have discussed doing exactly this, but weren't having much look.

There is not much activity but the list covers quite a few people in the Leeds and surrounding areas who are interested in Agile.

If people are interested in case studies, I'm happy to offer myself to discuss the use of Agile at AOL where we delivered a major Broadband platform in only 5 months using a mixture of Scrum and XP

Keith Sterling
www.keithsterling.com

20 January 2007 at 14:57

 
Blogger Andy said...

Great to see an effort to get a group running in Yorkshire. As an agile project coach I'm very happy to offer my experiences to the group. I'll also pass on the details to others in the area who are likely to be interested.

20 January 2007 at 18:19

 
Blogger Dan Rooke said...

I too would be interested in such an event. I work on the outskirts of the west of Leeds near New Farnley, but live in Huddersfield.

Because of my commute it will make it a long day, but I will definitely consider attending your first event.

I am a recent graduate from the University of Huddersfield's Computing Science course. Currently working as a web developer focussing on object orientated PHP5 and MySQL in Linux environments. I studied agile methodologies, including XP and FDD, in the context of web development for my final year university project.

20 January 2007 at 21:57

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home